The club keeps a cleanup kit in each airplane. We have blue rags for cleaning the leading edges and red rags for wiping any oil. Each plane has a spray bottle of a product called "Wash Wax All" to be used for cleaning the leading edges. It's a fast easy way to keep the planes looking great and it's much easier to clean off the bugs if we do it after each flight. Here is a great "how to" video from Gary Cooper and Marty Walker:
Other tips from some members who have seen it all too many times:
- Replace pitot covers, install gust locks, lock the doors and tie down the planes properly. This is Texas y'all! There is no telling what critters may sneak in or what the weather will do to those planes
- After spraying and washing the leading edges you may have a) some dirty rags; and b) no Wash Wax All in your bottle. PLEASE take the dirty rags to the keyroom to be washed and refill the bottle.
- Nobody really wants your leftover peanut butter crackers or a snickers wrapper. Take them with you and put them in the trash
- Double check that you haven't left your Raybans or cellphone or whatever in the plane.
- Put the AROW documents back in the pockets where you found them
- Take a minute after your flight, before you walk away, and think how cool that was to soar through the air and then think "did I leave this plane better than i found it?"
We have a great club here let's make it better by taking care of those planes and doing our part!